Sunday 14 October 2012

From Ancient Olympia to the Modern Olympiad 9

Inspire a Generation

Our sadness at leaving Greece was tempered by the knowledge that we were en route to the London 2012 Olympics.  We flew back to Manchester, drove home to Leeds for the night, stuck some jumpers in our case and then drove straight down to Dorset to see my family. The sailing events were happening a few miles east of my parents' house in Weymouth so we headed straight over.  As part of the London 2012's mission to 'Inspire a Generation' there was a live site on Weymouth beach where kids could play a vast array of sports completely free.  As my son loves sport this was perfect for him.  Meanwhile there was a huge video screen next door showing highlights of the main events where I could watch. I was there to see Brad Wiggins win the time trial.  I will always remember the drive to Weymouth, though, where I was in tears listening to Heather Stanning and Helen Glover winning the first Team GB gold medal in the rowing. It was the start of the most incredible few days for my son and I.

Trying canoeing for free


Beach volleyball


Tag rugby



In the Weymouth tower

Olympic yacht racing

No comments:

Post a Comment