Sunday 16 October 2011

Don't dress me as an evacuee, Mum

Last weekend was the first in a long time when I've had a weekend with my son and been well enough to enjoy it. I checked English Heritage and discovered that there was a World War 2 event at Pickering Castle which we hadn't visited before. What I hadn't appreciated was that this weekend was Pickering Wartime Weekend where the whole town decorates their buildings to look like the Blitz is on and people come from all over Britain dressed in appropriate clothes and driving gorgeous cars. I must say as this blog is called 'a 1940s childhood' it's pretty remiss of me to have been unaware of this all these years.

My son loved the 1940s cars parked everywhere and if there's one thing better than a car, it's a tank.

Afterwards we watched a re-enactment of a battle at the castle and he got to learn how to fire a rifle.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone




We also went to the train station where we watched a performance of 1940s songs whilst people jived. For some reason I was totally overwhelmed with emotion and ended up near tears. It's something about everyone looking like they belong in wartime and that reality is very moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment