Friday 28 October 2011

Only connect

In a total inversion of your average parent and child relationship my son often grumbles that I'm endlessly on my iPhone and I don't listen. However, my iPhone helps me find excellent days out for us.

Yesterday we went to Corfe Castle to book tickets for a viewing of the sun rising on the Winter Solstice from the top of the castle on Thursday 22nd December, followed by a breakfast roll and a hot drink. I found out about this via the National Trust app on my iPhone.

Then, as it was pouring, we went to Poole museum. I've been following @poolemuseum on Twitter and they use social media really well. Thankfully the museum itself is great. The highlight is the Iron Age log boat, dredged up in Brownsea harbour in the 1960s which took 40 years to preserve and then display. It's also a good social history museum and my son liked looking at exhibits about shipping and pottery (the main Poole professions) as well as a fabulous temporary display about life in the 1950s.

Also on Twitter and on the web I have been following @kidsinmuseums and their campaign to find the Family Friendly Museum of the Year (#FFMaward). I have taken my son to museums and historic sites since birth and some do the job of capturing kids' interest so very well. I'm considering hard which museum to nominate but I have to say some of the Dorset museums we've visited this year: Poole and Dorchester would definitely be strong candidates.

Finally, I love recording my days on this blog and my son has just, aged 8, started a Tumblr blog. As he's a kid I'm not going to link to it here for his internet safety, but if you know me I'm happy to link you to it, it's lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment