Monday 29 August 2011

Shopping for shoes in Italy

A lot of things have happened since 1997. I got married, had my son, got divorced, changed careers and changed clothes sizes. A lot. However, back then I promised I was going to go to the
Biennale of Art in Venice every other year of my life until death or infirmity stopped me. Today marks my 9th trip for the Biennale and my 10th visit to Venice.

People assume that trips to cities aren't good for kids but that's not what I've found. My son enjoyed the flight and it was a good opportunity to learn about glaciation and mountain building as we flew over the Alps.



We arrived into Venice and transferred to my preferred hotel here, the Helvetia. which has fabulous views of St Mark's Square and the lagoon.




We went for a walk and almost immediately my son's new canvas pumps started rubbing his feet. This led to buying plasters which alleviated the pain for a while. But, inevitably, they started hurting again so he ended up running barefoot along the lagoon edge on broiling Italian pavements and having to stop at every bench for a rest and to raise his chargrilled feet from the path. Not once did he moan or cry. So, we ended up in one of the most sacred places on earth - a Venetian shoe shop - buying him brand new comfortable sandals. It'll be worth it though as tomorrow we go to the Biennale.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment