Tuesday 2 August 2011

A 1970s childhood

I am at Swanage Regatta today having a brilliant time and remembering something about my childhood that, until I'd come here, I'd completely forgotten about: summer fetes and competing in mad races. The races are brilliant, an obstacle race; a rescue race where the kids have to carry a stretcher over an obstacle course to save a teddy; a sedan chair race; a slow bike race - the slowest without putting their foot down and the wheelbarrow race. And look who won the wheelbarrow race....




The final race was madness: one child dressed in a bin bag and the other one threw a raw egg to them. The winner was the pair of kids that threw the egg the furthest without it breaking. My son loved it.

And it was one of those afternoons that was simple, cheap and wonderful fun. Whilst I love my foreign adventures sometimes a truly British afternoon of kids' races is a real joy.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment