Thursday 22 December 2011

With the rising of the sun

I have to admit that as soon as the holidays start my alarm goes off and I don't get out of bed until there are double figures on my digital clock. However, this morning I was up in the dark to witness the rising of the sun on the winter solstice.

Before 7am my son and I were up and out, walking through Corfe Castle village and being amazed by how the dawn chorus was in full voice in the middle of winter. The castle was originally a motte and bailey so is a brilliant vantage point to watch the sun rise over the Purbeck hills and towards the coast. Rapt, we watched the transition from darkened village; through pinkening sky; to the first sliver of blazing orange and the sun easing over the horizon. One of the National Trust staff said she'd been doing it for 8 years and this was the first time that the sunrise was visible. We were certainly blessed by sol invictus, or maybe Samhein.

Afterwards, there was a gorgeous festive atmosphere as we drank mulled orange juice below the castle before having a hot drink and breakfast bap at the cafe.

Happy solstice everyone. Next stop summer.




























- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Corfe Castle, Dorset

No comments:

Post a Comment