Sunday 10 February 2013

Legacy and legends

Today we did something that we wouldn't have done if we hadn't been lucky enough to go to the Olympics and Paralympics last summer. We went to the British Athletics Indoor Trials in Sheffield. However, I've only just discovered that I never finished writing about our Olympic experience so I need to write about that first to give some context.

I can't believe I never wrote about the Olympics because it was one of the best experiences of my life. Truly I believe that London 2012 was our country at its very best. The experience of being at the Olympic park was a privilege: the crowds were so good natured and joyful.




Walking into the park I ended up tearful from the emotion of really being there. Although, to be fair, in common with most of the country I spent a lot of August 2012 with something in my eye.




We were in Park Live when Andy Murray won gold at Wimbledon before watching basketball.




The next morning we were in the Olympic stadium to see David Rudisha in the 800m heats and Lisa Dobriskie in the 1500m heats








The experience was so fabulous that I spent a lot of time refreshing the wifi in France in order to get Paralympics tickets




Where we saw Team GB gold as Aled Davies won the javelin.

So, was a sleety Sheffield day 6 months later a true legacy event? We were at the European indoor trials and it was brilliant to be so close to the action.
We watched pole vault, including Steve Lewis who was placed fifth in the Olympics.








We also saw Christine Ohorogu run in the 200m and Olympic bronze medallist, Robbie Grabarz, go in the high jump.








However, all these Olympians didn't quite provoke the excitement that realising a 100m Gold medallist was sat 5 rows in front of us...








Linford Christie. Legend.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment