Thursday 21 February 2013

Things to do in Christchurch when it's not raining

There is far too little half term left and I didn't want to let a day pass without enjoying it. The problem was it is blooming cold today and I didn't want to make my family trek miles to shiver and huddle away from the weather. So we went up the coast to Christchurch where, admittedly, there was some huddling and shivering. Despite being just the other side of Bournemouth & therefore only about 20 miles away none of us had ever been there properly. Thankfully it wasn't raining though...




We went across on the Sandbanks to Poole ferry as a treat for my son. When I was a kid that journey seemed miles on the chain ferry but, in reality, it's only a few hundred yards. It was really windy on the ferry though.


Christchurch itself is an interesting place where the rivers Stour and Avon meet the sea. I have to admit I didn't really get to grips with the topography of the area but we did have a lovely, if chilly, walk along one of the rivers.







And saw this mill which was mentioned in the Domesday book.






Afterwards we walked through the lovely little town which has lots of cutesy independent stores and this amazing cake shop and a sweet store where Nana bought my son lollipops.








For the final half hour we split up and my son & I speed visited the motte & bailey castle remains







Then the priory













Then finally a 10 minute rampage around the gorgeous Red House Museum which displays social history & archaeology. There were some beautiful dresses and children's toys exhibits.















It was a lovely afternoon trip and reminded me that there are probably loads of great places to visit within an hour of my home, if only I thought to go. Maybe it's made you think about how you might use those precious free hours you have too.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment