Saturday 9 February 2013

Writing and cooking Saturday

Last weekend I was at a party and two lovely people told me that they read this blog; in fact one said that they had missed me posting. During the week my son said that he wanted to make this 'Cooking and Writing Saturday' so it seemed to me that I ought to get blogging again.
I slept in this morning and when I got up my son had written an article about the Percy Jackson novels for a book club blog he has written for previously. He was clearly taking the Writing and Cooking Saturday theme seriously.
Therefore, we dug out the cook book I bought him for Christmas and planned a lunch for him to cook.




The recipe he chose was Crunchy Cheese Omelette. Sadly in Tesco we couldn't find any croutons or chives so he ended up making a Cheesy Mushroom Omelette (obviously I could have made croutons but - ugh!)












To be fair, that's not a bad first omelette. And he certainly enjoyed it:




After a good lunch we headed to town to go to the Nike Savvas: Liberty and Anarchy exhibition. It's very beautiful indeed and well worth a visit.




















My son observed that he had made something very similar in year 4 and that it had bored him immensely to do. Everyone's a critic, eh Nike?
The final phase of the day was going to see Spielberg's 'Lincoln' at the cinema. Recently I've taken him to a lot of 12A films: 'Skyfall', 'The Hobbit', 'Life of Pi' and 'Les Miserables'. It's great to be able to see something a bit more challenging and talk about it with him. Recently we've discussed what the carnivorous island in 'Life of Pie' might be metaphorical for; totalitarianism following Les Mis; and today led to the difference in the constitution of the USA as opposed to Britain. It proves to me that we endlessly underestimate children: they are totally able to engage with really complicated concepts, if they're just given the chance to.
I have had a great day and am so glad that my son invented Writing and Cooking Saturday: it's given me the impetus I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment